For patients doing both procedures please follow the preparation for colonoscopy.
For the best possible examination, your stomach must be completely empty. It is important to follow these steps.
If your gastroscopy is in the MORNING: YOU MUST BE FASTING AS OF MIDNIGHT. YOU MUST BE FASTING 6-8 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR PROCEDURE.
If your gastroscopy is in the AFTERNOON: YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE SMALL SIPS OF CLEAR LIQUIDS (coffee, tea, juice, soft drinks). YOU MUST FAST 6 TO 8 HOURS BEFORE THE PROCEDURE.
4 Days Prior To The Procedure
A nurse will call you within the next few days to answer any questions you may have regarding these instructions and/or your medications.
Day Before The Procedure
Day Of The Procedure
– Do not take your high blood pressure medications or any other medications that the nurse has told you not to take.
– Do not take your usual dose of INSULIN; check with your primary care physician on ways to manage diabetes during your preparation for the procedure.
– You must be accompanied by a responsible adult who can take you home after your procedure. To ensure your safe discharge, your accompanying adult must escort you out of the Endovision premises. Taxi or Uber is acceptable. There are no exceptions. Failure to comply with this will result in our inability to perform the procedure under sedation, or we will not perform the procedure at all. If this is the case please reschedule your procedure for a time when you can fulfill this requirement.
Please bring with you:
– A list of your medications and allergies
– If you have an ostomy, bring your supplies with you, should you need to change
– Contact information for the responsible adult who will be taking you home
– The name and fax number of your referring physician